Thursday, April 8, 2010

Training The Dragon

Did you know there was a dragon inside? I can see him through your eyes, while the green folds of your eyes flex and point, watching me with blunted teeth and heat so intense it has turned to ice.
Did you know there was a dragon? Angry in its cage? Angry in the skin that looks so different from green scales and long gray claws, different than the life it knew as a flying beast. But the rage is there, bottled into an even smaller vessel, so thin and long and hairless. So smooth.
Did you know it was there? Breathing your air like a parasite? Eating your food, transforming your thoughts into fire and coal.
I have looked, and in certain lights, certain mirrors, I see the dragon. Steam streams from my flared nose, its Semitic length perfect for this orange and blue life. I move slightly, just a little turn, and see the green in these otherwise brown eyes. Flecks of fire and rage. But only in certain lights, certain mirrors. I forget about the dragon, the beast that moves with every shake of my arm, every click of my tongue. It fills me from the inside, keeping my breasts pert, my stomach round.
Did you know it was there? Have you seen me in the gray light of dawn? Through tempered blinds? Through the lens my eyes hide?

It is there, waiting, breathing, spitting fire.

Did you know?

Did you know?

Each beast carries a rider, though I’m not sure who moves who. My arm is not my own. And when it roars, when the cage opens, the iron doors releasing the full fury of a pent-up beast, my toes move without direction. My tongue carries me to the worlds I hoped to never see again. I watch from above, riding the back of this black dragon, watching the dark city burn. Sporadic fires and fleeing screams. Horror, laughter, redemption. Are they my thoughts? Are they his? Who rides who?

Can I tame this beast? Train this dragon?

In the right light, in front of the right mirror, I see the dragon’s eyes. I feel the flames of heat moving in my chest, the moment before the explosion. And I remember. My training, my practice, my sword.

One deep breath….Veeeehhhhhhhhh

I hold my breath….Kaahhhhhhhhhhh

I release the breath….Daaayyyyy

I repeat.

Every sound in the room is ignored. I cannot hear who’s talking, what’s playing. There are no thoughts, not if I’m doing it right. Not if I have the sword in my hand and the beast on its belly.

One deep breath….Veeeehhhhhhhhh

I hold my breath….Kaahhhhhhhhhhh

I release the breath….Daaayyyyy

I repeat.

It is strong. It is old. It is me…entwined within the fabric of my eyes and ears and lifetimes of habit. We are coiled like snakes, lovers without boundaries and eyes.

In the right light, in front of the right mirror, I see the dragon’s eyes. I feel the flames of heat moving in my chest, the moment before the explosion.

One deep breath….Veeeehhhhhhhhh

I hold my breath….Kaahhhhhhhhhhh

I release the breath….Daaayyyyy

I repeat.
And as I repeat, I train the dragon.
My dragon.
Me.

No comments: